Murdered teenager Hannah Foster made despairing 999 call after abduction

08:12 by Editor · 0 Post a comment on AAWR

A kidnapped teenage girl dialled 999 in an attempt to escape from her attacker but was cut off by the emergency services. She was then raped and strangled, a jury heard yesterday.

After being bundled into a van, Hannah Foster, 17, an A-level student who wanted to become a doctor, dialled the number in the hope that the operator would hear her conversation with her abductor. But because the operator could not hear what was being said, the system automatically disconnected her.

Hannah’s parents, Trevor, 57, an auditor for British Gas, and Hilary, 51, a former nurse, and her sister, Sarah, 20, were in Winchester Crown Court as Nicholas Haggan, QC, opened the prosecution case in what he said would be a distressing trial.

Mr Haggan said that DNA evidence would help to prove that Maninder Pal Singh Kohli, 40, a sandwich delivery driver, murdered Hannah. “He snatched her from the street. He drove off with her in his van. He found somewhere quiet and he raped her. He then strangled her and dumped her body,” Mr Haggan said. “When he thought he might get caught, he fled to India.”

Mr Haggan said that Hannah disappeared in March 2003 while walking home from a bus stop after a Friday night out with friends.

“At 11pm that evening, Hannah managed to use her mobile phone to contact the emergency services,” he said. “She was unable to speak to the operator. It’s quite obvious from the recording that she was in a moving vehicle. In that vehicle with her was a man, and that man was speaking to her in a heavily accented voice.

“Hannah probably thought that the operator would listen to the conversation and work out that she was being held against her will.”

She would not have known that there was a system to prevent accidentally dialled emergency calls from blocking up the system, he added.

Experts who analysed the recording were able to make out Hannah pretending her name was Sarah and the man saying something like: “Hold your head down, please.”

Hannah’s body was discovered two days later by a 14-year-old boy in Allington Lane, West End, near Southampton. It was lying among brambles about 15ft from the road. A postmortem examination showed that she had been strangled. Although she was fully dressed, her clothing was described as “dishevelled”. She had scratches on her legs, and there were traces of semen.

It is claimed that on the same day Mr Kohli was in tears as he told a friend that he needed to go to India to see his ill mother. The friend noticed a red mark under the man’s eye, which Mr Kohli is said to have claimed he got in a fight with two men. Despite Mr Kohli threatening to kill himself if his friend did not lend him money for the flight, the friend refused, the prosecution said.

The next day, Hannah’s handbag and phone were found at a recycling centre in Southsea, Portsmouth. Mr Kohli flew to India from Heathrow the following day.

A few days later, Mr Kohli’s supervisor, James Dennis, saw a recording of theCrimewatchprogramme that featured an appeal about Hannah’s murder, and contacted police. Mr Kohli’s sandwich delivery van was seized and semen stains and traces of Hannah’s blood were discovered inside, Mr Haggan said.

CCTV and Hannah’s telephone records were said to place the two together at the time of the murder.

Mr Kohli was extradited to Britain in July last year, and a DNA sample from him matched the semen found at the crime scene, Mr Haggan said. continues here

Related Posts by Categories

Post a comment on AAWR

0 Responses to "Murdered teenager Hannah Foster made despairing 999 call after abduction"

Post a Comment

We welcome contributions from all sides of the debate, at AAWR comment is free, AAWR may edit and/or delete your comments if abusive, threatening, illegal or libellous according to our understanding of, no emails will be published. Your comments may be published on other nationalist media sites worldwide.